Thursday, October 02, 2008

 

Spiritual Growth

One of my friends, J. R. Rodriguez, recently asked me about how to foster spiritual growth. Actually, he asked it of all the elders but it got me to thinking. I thought about all the spiritual disciplines and I have no problem with that approach, but I kept coming back to Philemon 6...

"I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ."

If I am hearing Paul correctly, there is a benefit for us in sharing our faith: the more we talk about our faith, the more we understand the good things we have in Christ. He didn't say "the more you will appreciate it", but "the more you will understand" the good things we have in Christ.

We have not fully appreciated this. If all of us would be more active in sharing our faith, we would grow spiritually. Faith sharers survive temptation, they help others know Jesus, they mature spiritually, and they keep growing. They don't have time or inclination to bog down in things outside the gospel.

Making disciples makes me a better disciple.

Good plan God.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?