Thursday, November 06, 2008

 

Election thoughts...

Random thoughts from the election.

Barack Obama won on the force of his personality. It approaches cult status. Very cool way to win, very difficult to live up to expectations as a President. He is a man...not really sure he is the "chosen one".

McCain gave a great concession speech. Not sure who was the real McCain: the one who gave a gracious, bipartisan, healing speech, or the one who ran a negative, divisive campaign.

I worry about Christians who got so angry about this election. I worry about Christians who cried about the result. Have we cried those same tears over our sins, or over a lost and dying world?

I know Christians distraught over the results and I know Christians ecstatic over the results. Will we still be in fellowship? Remember, our fellowship splintered once before over politics -- the north/south division during and after the civil war. And I don't buy the theory that we divided over instrumental music, missionary society, or whether Christians could serve in the military. Every one of those issues had a north-south division.

Why has there been so little coverage of the marriage amendment results in California, Florida, and Arizona. Same sex marriage defeated. Could make for an interesting next few years between federal and state decisions.

I love politics and election coverage. As an alien in this country (my citizenship is in heaven) I am fascinated and interested. But the good news is that this election really does not change anything. I still think God is in control. Always has been, always will be.

If you want to read some interesting thinking about Christianity and politics, check out my friend Tim Archer's blog here. Check some of his recent posts.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?