Tuesday, December 09, 2008

 

Flock expectations...

I have been thinking lately as an shepherd about what I should expect from my flock. Of course, the easy answer is I expect them to follow Jesus and become more like him. But I sense that I need to think more specifically than that. So here are three things I expect from my flock. And by the way, this is also what I expect from myself and from my own family.

Gather with the family for corporate worship. At Southern Hills, we have multiple worship services to choose from and I don't much care which ones my sheep attend. But I do want us all to be at a weekly church family gathering when we remember the death and resurrection of Jesus. It is a statement of unity. This part of the assembly is more important than the praise or the preaching. Whether you like the style, the singing, the building, or the preaching is not the point. Be there.

I want each of my flock to be part of a small group. I don't care what structure that group takes. It just needs to be a place of sharing, accountability, and support for it's members. I am part of three functioning groups: our small group with three other couples, the eldership (which in many ways functions as a group), and our family group (Julie and her family, Granny and Grandpa, etc)). I don't care how you form your group, you just need to be in a close knit support group.

Get involved in at least one ministry. Teach a Bible class, get on First Impressions, Campus Ministry, Bridge Builders. I really don't care what ministry you get involved with, just do something to help further the work of the church.

More thoughts later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?