Tuesday, December 02, 2008

 

Witnessing at the zoo...

I took Jake to the zoo the other day. It is something we like to do because ... well, he's about to be three and I'm a big kid at heart. We have the Grandparent family pass, so we go to the window, tell them my name, buy our crackers for the animals and off we go.

This time the lady at the window couldn't find my name. I told it to her, spelled it out, looked thru the window and told her it was at the end of page four. She couldn't get it. And she was rude about it. I don't know if she thought I was an impostor, or maybe I looked too old to be a granddad. Anyway, we were getting nowhere fast.

The other lady working came over, listened to me, took the papers, showed the first lady where my name was and backed away while giving me one of those "I am so sorry" looks.

By now, you are wondering if I was mad at the rude, incompetent lady who wouldn't listen, wouldn't help, and wouldn't let me in. But actually, I kept wondering what was going on in her life that made her so unhappy. I tried my best smile, told her to have a good day, and went out of my way to smile at her on the way out.

I wish she knew Jesus. I assume someone that unhappy is not a Christian. I haven't yet figured out how to communicate Jesus to her but I hope next time I can find an opportunity.

It also made me wonder... what if she is a Christian? What kind of witness did she make that day? What kind of witness am I every day? Do people assume I am a Christian when they cross my path?

Just things to think about from a random encounter.

Comments:
I think that same lady has waited on me before. I agree that someone that unhappy can not have Christ in their heart. Mattie May and I always wait patiently and then we give her a smile and wish her a great day. Maybe I should change it to "May God bless you with a great day". Maybe that is one small type of witnessing Mattie May needs to see from me.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?