Friday, February 13, 2009

 

Leaving Church...

Southern Hills is a large congregation and so there are always people who choose to leave and worship elsewhere, who talk about going elsewhere, or who wonder who is going to go elsewhere. My thoughts as a shepherd:

If your conscience is violated by something we are doing, please discuss it with us. If you still cannot worship with us, leave.

If you believe for the good of your family you must worship elsewhere, leave.

However,

I believe we live in a consumer society that wants things like they believe it should be to please them. I am convinced that has carried over to church. We are a "me" driven church. My failing as a shepherd is that I have not helped my flock realize the we are about God and Jesus. It is not about us.

Most people leave over misplaced priorities. How can you leave your family because everything is not done to please you?

If you decide to leave, be sure the next church is going to do everything exactly as you want it done. Or you'll have to leave again.

Even as an elder, I don't agree with everything SH does. But it's family. And we don't violate my core convictions.

I do think I could stop everyone from leaving. We are going to set up about 300 worship assemblies of every style and description. We are hiring about 20 pulpit ministers so everyone can find one they like. And about 40 youth ministers so everyone can have a program designed to meet their individual wants and needs. 60 song leaders, or praise teams, with a wide selection of styles.

Oh yeah, let's go for 100 elders so everyone can find one who will agree with them.

OK, maybe a little too sarcastic, but some of my thoughts on people who leave churches. Doesn't fit everyone who leaves. Does fit a lot of them tho.

What are your thoughts?

Comments:
I love your sarcasm...it cracks me up! I am glad we are "family"!! I like to think of you as "our elder", but better than that, you're just family!

And good luck with the 60 praise teams...that's a LOT of work!! :)
 
I, like Anne, love you sarcasm.

I also think of the congregation as our family. And as my family, no I don't always agree with everything that is done, but that is what makes us so great. I don't just abandon my family because I disagree with choices made. We discuss it, figure it out and go on, praising our Father God.
 
Yeah, but what are you doing to encourage spiritual growth ?? ;)
Stay the course! Love ya brother!
 
My response to people who aren't satisfied/ happy with this, that, or whatever would be "But what are you doing to make it right or make it better?"

You know, interestingly enough, I don't hear it. People don't gripe to me. Partly because I'm not in leadership position, and partly because I don't entertain it. So, in my happy little cloistered mind, we're all perfectly happy at church. You should visit my church sometime. It's VERY happy!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?