Thursday, February 26, 2009

 

My Dad

Sometimes I forget things. So far I haven't missed anything major while preaching, but I sometimes forget a name... or miss a turn. I usually don't think much about those things but I wonder what it will be like in 25 years. So, like most things, I watch my Dad to see how he handles things. He is about to be 81 and still in good shape. But he forgets things sometimes. Or it takes him longer to remember them. He occasionally misses a turn or two himself.

I have seen him give up teaching Bible class, and he won't do public prayer any more. But when I talk to him he is positive, able to laugh about it, and generally handles growing old with grace and dignity. So I am trying to learn from him how to face growing old one day. I want to be wise enough to know when to cut back on what I am doing, I want to be happy enough to laugh about life changes, and I want to be gracious enough to age with dignity. Just like him.

They are about to do some more tests on my Dad next week. Ironically, the same week I am having a physical also. I have no idea what they will find, or what will happen the next few years -- to my Dad or to me. But I do know how much I have learned from his example about how to live as a man of God in this world. In every stage of my life I have looked to his example to see how to handle the next stage. Just like I hope Joe Don is learning from me and Andrew is learning from him.

And yes, I do know that Marsha is watching my Mom to learn how to help me someday. I'm glad for that too.

So thanks Dad. And I'm glad you can still read this. And glad I can still write it.

I love you.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?