Tuesday, March 31, 2009

 

Back from Cuba...

We are back from 4 days in Cuba. I continue to be amazed at the great work God is doing in Cuba. The Christians there are committed, passionate, and evangelistic. The province of Matanzas has about 600 members of the church of Christ. About 250 of those are converts in the last three years. This year they have baptized around 60 or 70 so far.

I worry that someday we will get American missionaries into Cuba who will mess things up. Some will insist they have certain doctrines wrong and they better shape up or else. Then lines of fellowship will be drawn. Tragic. Others will insist that they need to incorporate things into worship and that will cause division.

What I really wish is that Cuba would send missionaries over here and teach us to be evangelistic.

I have tried to spend some time seriously evaluating why they are doing something that we are not. It is not because they love God more than us. Or that they are more committed. And we live in a culture that is post Christian. Their country is not Christian. Neither is ours. They have very few financial resources. We have lots.

So in my next blog I am going to share some things I think we could learn from the church in Cuba.

I love my brothers and sisters in Cuba and I was glad to see them. But I missed my church family here and am glad to be home.

Comments:
We are so glad you're home!

My uncle started the church in Cuba in the early 1940's; we don't know if one was already there and he started it in another location, or what. We have photos of him baptizing people in the ocean - a treasure, for sure.

We just need to be certain - in Cuba and here - to ONLY preach the Gospel of Jesus; other things will take care of themselves, if we will not try to control others and have our own way in everything. We don't have to insist that we do everything exactly like they did in 1940, or exactly like we do now; our mission is plain and simple - to take the Gospel of Jesus to the world, to everyone, everywhere.

Thank you so much for going to Cuba and other places, taking the Gospel. We thank God you're home again, though.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?