Tuesday, March 10, 2009

 

Good bye Mike

Mike Cope has resigned as the preaching minister at Highland. First it was Eddie Sharp leaving University here in Abilene and now Mike. They were both long term at their congregations. I appreciate several things about Mike. One is his love for -- and ability to communicate with -- university students. I share that same passion. In fact, Abilene might be the only place in the world where you would have two "over fifties" preaching to college students. I also appreciate how Mike shared his life with Highland and the Christian community here in Abilene. Joy, pain, triumph and tragedy were part of a very authentic preaching voice.

I wish Mike well in his new gig with Landon Saunders. Working with Herald of Truth, I appreciate so much of what Landon did when he was one of our "voices". I also hope Mike continues to preach. As much as we would argue a different theology in our fellowship, we are still very oriented to a professional clergy. I hope we can still hear Mike in different venues and settings.

I honor his family. I appreciate Diane and my wife and I are close to Matt and Chris. Marsha taught them and had a special connection to Chris when he came back to Lincoln school after the wreck. When he could only attend partial days at first, it was her room where he waited for Mike to pick him up. Matt and I were close when he was at ACU thru Galaxy.

So God speed Mike.

And a special note to my preacher at Southern Hills -- Phil Ware. Eddie and Mike are exceptions. This is not a trend. Stay put.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?