Wednesday, March 04, 2009

 

In or out...

There was a book published recently that lists acapella churches of Christ. They did not include Richland Hills since they have an instrumental service. I have been amazed at the reaction from various people to this event.

Let me state clearly that what RH does is their business. I believe in church autonomy so who am I to question their elders? I love RH. I consider it a second church home for us. My kids go there. I am good friends with several of their elders. Appreciate their staff. But they are not an acapella only church which is the focus of the book.

The book listed who they intended to list. I am not sure that the authors or publishers of this list intend for it to be a listing of "approved" congregations. They don't claim that is what it is. Should there be a book like this? I don't know. I wouldn't write one like it.

But I am amazed at the reaction of some people. We sure are quick to jump to conclusions and draw lines. Some of the loudest proponents of unity sure were quick to condemn this publication. Sure seemed to imply that they were willing to draw their own lines to exclude someone who they thought drew inappropriate lines. Wow.

Get over it. I was interested to see that some congregations having instrumental services still made the list. And I know some of numbers listed for some congregations are wildly inaccurate. Who cares? Do we think somehow God uses this book for his list? And are we proud to be included in this list, or excluded? And who really has time to stress over this?

The world is going to hell and we are going to spend time with this? I don't imagine Richland Hills has time to stress over this. They are trying to make disciples in Fort Worth and around the world. I don't even know if Southern Hills made the list, or if we are named as one of the largest congregations. I have too much to do reaching people in Abilene and around the world.

And now I've wasted ten minutes ranting about this. Not the book. The reaction to it. I suspect Satan was much more tickled about controversy stirred up by those who reacted so strongly. If nobody had gotten so cranked up, I just don't think the book could have had much impact. Which is why I won't even tell you the name of it.

It seems for some people unity will always mean seeing things my way, whether it is a book or in the way you must react to it.

Comments:
Love it, Steve.

Well said.

ME
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?