Tuesday, April 14, 2009

 

Too embarressed to evangelize...

We live in a culture that prizes inclusiveness above almost anything else. Everyone is free to believe what is true for them. And no one wants to be judgmental or exclusive. So what is a Christian to do? How can you be evangelistic? If we are all right, or there are many paths to heaven... then there is no need to evangelize.

I am convinced Christianity is -- and always has been -- counter cultural. I believe it is time for us to quit worrying about whether we offend anyone, or whether our world will think poorly of us. I know that in times past we may have come across as arrogant and judgmental. I don't believe that is our greatest danger today. Our danger today is that we will not stop being embarrassed about the commission to make disciples.

So here is what I believe, without embarrassment or apology.

God created this world. He made us. He loves us. He wants a relationship with us. He is a holy and perfect God.

Our world is messed up. And so are all of us. We are not holy.

God sent his son Jesus to make us holy by paying the price for our imperfections. He did that by dying on the cross.

I submit to him in faith by being crucified with him in baptism.

I live in community with other believers and participate regularly in the death of Jesus by sharing a meal of flat bread and wine with other believers. We will do this till he comes again.

Some will be bothered that I think Jesus is the only way to God. But he is.

Some do not like the implication that people are sinners, or are lost, or are wrong. But they are.

Some will get nervous about baptism. They will see it as narrow, or divisive, or denominational. But that has been the response to Jesus since the time of John the baptizer. There is a hesitation to tell some one there is a clear way to respond to Jesus. But there is.

And of course some are offended by the belief that we ought to worship together regularly. But we should.

No one responds to an unclear message. They may not respond to a clear one, but at least they will know the message.

I am not sure if this is a popular position even in our churches. But I believe it is what God wants me to share with this world. And it is Him I want to please.

So I will. Without shame or embarrassment. With courage, boldness, and love. But share it I will. Until God calls me home.

Feel free to share your thoughts and reactions.

Comments:
Great thoughts.

You're right, we have offended at times, and perhaps it wasn't our message that offended, but our offensive way of delivering it. And that is what I'd love to change.

The other thing I work on is being only as exclusive as God is, and being only as inclusive as He is. So there are times that it seems important that I leave a lot of that up to Him, because my job is to deliver the message - that much, I know I need to do. And if the Bible is specific on things, I want to be specific.

If I decide to do some things on my own, then I'll have to answer for my responsibility for having done the damage, especially if I've meddled in God's working. That part does concern me.
 
Steve writes:
No one responds to an unclear message. They may not respond to a clear one, but at least they will know the message.Wise words. They plant a seed in my brain, that Lord-willing, will sprout into action soon.
 
Great message my friend! It has been a long time since we have talked. I have never forgotten you and the influence you have had on my life, my faith, and my ministry.

I appreciate your boldness and plain honesty. I too wish that these thoughts would become more real and everyday for all Christians around the globe. We have a message worth sharing. We should share it. It is up to the recipient to decide what to do with it.

They can accept it. They can reject it. It is their choice. However, we should love them enought to at least give them that choice. God Bless, Steve. Miss you.
 
I do wonder if we about to have a revival of evangelism. I am inspired. I hope seeds planted in each of our brains bear fruit.

Cory -- great to hear from you. Are you the preaching minister at K. now?
Tell Will hello for me. If I can help you guys with anything, let me know.
 
As a matter of fact, I am the preaching minister at K. Started in September of last year. What a ride!!!! That is quite a change from the days of being a youth minister next to my interim preaching friend, Steve Ridgell. I always thought to myself, "If I could preach with a passion like Steve Ridgell, I could be a preacher someday." Well, I am not sure that I preach with the same passion, but I get pretty passionate about what I preach.

Anyway, I am loving it! Would love to see you again sometime. Might you be interested in guest speaking at the ole K church sometime? Blessings, my friend.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?