Wednesday, May 20, 2009

 

Buying Whiskey...

I went thru the liquor store drive by window and bought whiskey the other day. Here is what I said: "I need the smallest, cheapest, bottle of whiskey you have. I am making homemade cough syrup. It is the only thing that works." The clerk was nice, sold me what I asked for, and off I went. I did this a few years ago when my son Joe Don was with me and he was tickled at my compulsion to explain myself. As if the clerk really cared why I was buying whiskey. So I began to think about why I explain my order.

I don't think it is some kind of repressed legalism expressing itself as if there is something inherently evil about buying one bottle of whiskey. I don't think it is some kind of driving need to appear righteous -- after all, as far as the clerk is concerned I could be lying. And I doubt I am the first Christian to buy something from that store.

But in some way, it does relate to my image. As an elder at Southern Hills, I am acutely aware of the damage drunkenness and alcoholism do in my flock. Marsha and I had spent a lot of time helping Christians in this particular battle. So if any of my flock happened to be in there when I went by, I don't want to "trip them up" by having them think drinking is OK. For many Christians, it is not OK. They cannot even socially drink.

Maybe it was also because so many of the university students hear me preach and the "get drunk and hook up" culture is so powerful among them. And my preaching is blunt enough that we talk about it. So I didn't want to send a mixed message.

I do know it is not necessarily a sin to drink alcohol. But drunkenness is a sin. And that is a battle in our churches. So I am very careful about alcohol and my image as a Christ follower. So why even buy whiskey to begin with? Because of three weeks coughing. And knowing a great home remedy.

So just my random thoughts about living out our call in our culture. Not sure I always do it well, but I do think it is worth thinking and talking about.

By the way: 1/3 whiskey, 1/3 lemon, 1/3 honey. Best cough syrup there is. It worked.

So... what do you think?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?