Thursday, May 14, 2009

 

On wrecks and new trucks...

It happened about a month ago. Teenage girl rear-ended me on N. 1st. She never hit her brakes, just slammed into me. Hard enough to knock the spare tire off under the truck. Hard enough to bend the frame. And I did not even suffer a bruise. I was not hurt, never was sore, and had no complications at all. Some would call it luck. I call it God. I believe He is active in our lives. Maybe it was my angel.

So Marsha and I started praying harder about a new truck. We had been debating whether my '99 Chevy Truck with 140,000 miles was ready to be recycled. So after the wreck we really started praying. Called Hunter Hanner and he said he had an '09 demo very similar to my old one. With all of the discounts, etc. we arrived at the bottom line price. Wanting to be a good steward, I figured out what I thought would be a reasonable monthly payment and for how long. I was then able to know how much I needed the insurance settlement to be. Hunter wasn't sure it would be enough to cover what I needed. But it was.

So I have a new truck. And what part did God play in this? I am going to credit him with protecting me (and the other driver by the way), and with getting me the new truck. So how? I am not sure I can explain it to you, nor do I need to know how He did it. He is God, and I am not. It just makes more sense to me to give Him the credit instead of calling it luck. He used Hanner Chevrolet, he used an insurance company, and he used our faith.

The older my faith gets -- and hopefully the more mature -- the more Marsha and I pray about everything. And I mean everything: travel protection and vehicle purchases included.

So share some of your God stories.

Comments:
Reminds me of when I was 16 driving home from Ft. Worth and about a mile from my house. A 17-year old who had been drinking that morning ran a stop sign on Memorial Day and tried to turn left to go in the opposite direction on the highway I was on. He was in a 1980 Chevy Impala (AKA Sherman Tank). I was in a 1978 Mercury Bobcat (Ford Pinto's sister). Let's just say he out-weighed me by about a ton when we collided almost head-on at about 60 MPH. I was spun around. My license plate was thrown more than 100 feet. My right front tire was just about in the passenger seat.

I walked out of my car to make sure the other driver was okay (he was). I was never bruised. I never hurt. I played football in the fall. A passenger would have certainly been severely injured and probably killed, and my sisters were usually with me on that drive.

It was a God-thing. No doubt in my mind. And he took care of me by giving me just enough from insurance for that old Bobcat that I was able to "upgrade" to my Datsun "Z" that got me all the way through college.

I need to be constantly more thankful and prayerful for the blessings of each and his faithful guidance. As always, thank you for sharing, and for your faithful example to so many.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?