Wednesday, May 27, 2009

 

Staggering to the finish...

Maybe it is true everywhere and for everyone, but I know it is true in Abilene and for the Ridgells and many of my preacher and elder buddies. It is an endurance contest to get to the end of May and the summer. I am about done by the time the Spring speaking schedule, HIP, and my Bible class wind down. I have shepherded, counseled, and prayed for about all the people I can handle. I know for me, summer is a time I need to take a break, get refreshed, and get refocused. I appreciate those of you who say nice things about HIP and my Sunday class, but one reason I take the summer off from both of these is so I can do them next fall. I am even speaking and traveling less this summer. I am preaching once in Tennessee, going to the Lipscomb lectures, an HoT trip to Zambia, and preaching once in Sweetwater. At this point, that is it for the summer. Going to take a trip to Sea World with the whole family and Marsha is going to Lipscomb with me and then we are taking a few days off in Smokey mountains. I am going to read, write, work on an evangelism seminar I am developing. I might wet a hook, hook a little white ball, and chase a grandkid or two.

So why tell you all this? To remind us all that God calls us to rest, Sabbaticals, and renewal. We need to stop the busy stress of life. Empty gas tanks don't run long. Phil Ware, our preacher, is always challenging the elders to have one night where we do not return calls, check on the flock, or visit the hospital. I try to take a few minutes each day, take one night each week, and take a couple of months in the summer when I change the rhythm of my life. Besides, Marsha and my Doctor yell at me if I don't.

So how about you? How do you reconnect, refocus, renew, or refresh yourself for ministry?

Comments:
Steve,

This makes me very happy to read!! I know how hard it is for you to slow down, but you have to do it. You have earned it. You deserve it. You MUST do it so you can continue to have the energy and vitality to serve our Lord in such a faithful and active way.

Thank you for the reminder about downtime. I am trying to be better about it myself. We even have a week-long family vacation planned in August - the first one since we had kids 7-1/2 years ago.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?