Friday, June 19, 2009

 

Being a Good Dad...


Father's Day is the time of year when I often get asked how to be a good Dad. Some ask because they assume anyone as old as me must have learned something. Some know my kids so assume I must have done something right. And some probably think I must know some secret because it just can't be anything I have done.

So here goes my standard response.

Identifying good Dads is done by looking at their kids. The proof is in the pudding. My kids are sure not perfect... but they are faithful Christians and successful in their careers (one nurse, one lawyer). And they have healthy, functional families. So I don't mind sharing what I have learned about being a good Dad.

First, I give God praise and glory. The credit is His. I also give a great deal of credit to the grandparents. The extended family idea really worked for us.

But here is what I did really well.

I married up. Marsha has helped me be a better Christian and helped me learn to be a good husband, Dad, preacher, and elder. Yes, I know it took her some time... but still.

I prayed lots. I prayed for both my kids every day of their life. Still do. Almost every night when they were still at home I prayed with them.

I loved much. The one thing Julie and Joe Don always knew was how much I loved them. They still do.

I told them how proud I was of them. Lots. Still do.

I spent lots of time with them. Family trips, game nights. Lots of hunting and fishing time.

I didn't dwell on mistakes or live in the past. I gave them lots of baggage. I made lots of mistakes. I had to battle sin in my life. But I learned to be big on grace, forgiveness, restoration, and moving on with life. For me and for them.

We were always in church. Lots of brothers and sisters can claim credit for my kids.

Jesus was real at our house and we were honest. Not much on the fake religion or on hiding things. My kids know I'm not perfect, they know that Mom and Dad had fights, and they know Mom and Dad really, really love each other. And love the Lord.

So there it is. Hope it helps.

So thanks God every day for my kids. Thanks for the two you gave me and the two more I got when they married. And thanks for Anna, Jake, Avery, and Andrew. You have blessed me beyond anything I deserve or could imagine.

So to my two Dads (mine and the one I got by marrying Marsha)... thanks and I love you. To Joe Don and Bobby... I love you guys and hope you have as much fun being a Dad as I have had. So to Mimi, Jules and Bobby, JD and Jamie, Anna and Andrew, and Jake and Avery... you make me the happiest Dad and Pops anywhere. Love you all and proud of every one of you.

Happy Father's Day.

Comments:
Happy Father's Day Pops! The four of us think you are the best and we love you!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?