Monday, July 20, 2009

 

What a great Saturday...

I had a great Saturday. My granddaughter, Avery Grace, turned two. Joe Don and his family came. My folks came. Julie and Bobby threw a great party. And it was the second best event of the day. Saturday afternoon, my friend Jimmy became my brother. You need to know his story.

Ken Jones became friends with Jimmy and Janie because he would often drink coffee at the restaurant managed by Janie. Ken talked to them about Jesus because his life is a living testimony to the power of God's grace. Janie became a Christian about five years ago. But not Jimmy. He didn't want any part of it.

Then a few months ago, their grown son died. It happened right in their new house. The religion of Jimmy's childhood failed him. The funeral was impersonal. The theology harsh. No one was there for them. But Ken was. Jimmy asked his friend questions about what he thought about God. Ken shared his story, and then God's Word. He did it gently and in love.

Jimmy and Janie decided they needed someone to pray thru their house for evil and pain to be removed and for joy and peace to return. They wondered if one the leaders at Southern Hills would do it. So Ken called me. Marsha and I went over with Ken and led Jimmy and Janie thru every room in their house, crying and praying.

Jimmy started coming to church. Janie prayed for him. So did lots of other people at Southern Hills. Jimmy started thinking of us as his church. He listened when Phil preached. He asked Ken questions.

And Saturday, he bought in. He died with Jesus in baptism and was raised to a new, forgiven life. I was honored to give the pastoral blessing to Jimmy Sunday at church with all his new brothers and sisters. I got to tell him that he was forgiven, just like Ken. And just like me. That Satan hated what he had done, but God would give him power and courage to witness to others.

Jimmy is a great story. So is Janie. And Ken.

And me.

And you too.

Comments:
GREAT! And the Church grows....
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?