Tuesday, September 15, 2009

 

Yes I did have a birthday...

Yep I did. I am another year older -- 58 to be exact. I know I don't look it. I look more like 68, but that's another story. I have noticed that as I get older everyone asks for my take on birthdays. So here are my reflections on birthdays.

I am thankful God gave me another year. I am not guaranteed long life. And it's really OK if I die tomorrow. Of course I enjoy life with Marsha. And I love being Pops to my grandkids, but God is in charge of my life... not me. So I try to live as if each year is my last.

So I want to be productive with the time I have left. Odds are that most of my days are behind me. So I really want to be about kingdom business.

I don't feel old. I don't "think" old. I just do not focus on what the calendar says about me. Never have. And I doubt I ever will. Too much life to be lived to worry about getting old.

Watching your adult children lead productive, faithful lives is incredibly rewarding.

My grandkids really are a blessing.

The older I get, the more I realize that there are very few things that really matter in this life. Jesus and family. Relationships. Helping others know Jesus. Helping struggling Christians come home.

I don't spend much time on the past. I could wallow in regrets and guilt if I wanted to ... believe me, there is plenty there. But that would fly in the face of why Jesus came to earth to find me. So... I just don't do that. So I am still living in the moment with an eye on the future.

Best thing about my life right now: I like it. I'm content. Thanks God.

Comments:
You and I have birthdays really close together. This was good for me. :-) I find I dislike the thought of birthdays more than I dislike the actual birthday. What a blessing to be given another year on this earth -- and with the family that I have, a double blessing!
 
I am thankful for you and the Spirit of God that lives in you! I really appreciate your outlook on birthdays!

Karene
 
Stevie Wonder!
Happy Birthday man!!
Hey, my grandkids call me "Pops" too (at least the only one that can talk does).
Love it!!
I've been reading your cool and challenging blog, but am generally too lazy to comment.
Keep up the great work and give Marsha a hug for us.
Love you brother!
Richard Blaisdell
 
Thanks Sarah and Karene.

Hey Richard, good to hear from you. Love and appreciate what you have always meant to me.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?