Monday, October 12, 2009

 

Emotional roller coaster...

The last week has been an emotional roller coaster.

My Aunt Eb died last week. She was over 90 and had been in and out of a coma for several weeks so it was not a surprise. But I remember staying at their house and how much I enjoyed eating her cooking. All homegrown vegetables and the meat was always wild game.

Herald of Truth had our annual fund raiser in Nashville. Great crowd. Lots of connections. Raised money. I'm a preacher, not a fund raiser, but I do know that raising money lets me do what I love to do.

My "Aunt" Margaret died unexpectedly Friday night. She wasn't my blood aunt, but they were my folks best friends while I was growing up. We spent every Christmas Eve together for twenty years. Her husband, Uncle Ray, and my Dad served as elders together. She was always an encouragement. So now heaven looks a little more like home. Going to her funeral tomorrow. Will see lots of friends for my younger days, including her daughter Susan.

Saturday I helped one of our Southern Hills Dads baptize his college age daughter. After Lauren left home and got on her own, she realized how much she needed to give her life to Jesus. Long distance study, but very special. Came back to Abilene for the baptism so most of her family could be there.

Sunday I got to do the baptisimal blessing for Geneva, Angelica, and Carlos. One of our SH doctors works with Geneva and saw her bringing her Bible to work. Asked her if she wanted to study together. They did, and she and her daughter decided to be baptized. Her boyfriend is Carlos. She would study with him what Bobby was teaching her. He wanted to know if he could be baptized also. Great story.

Very emotional, but a great week. Some of God's people went home. Others became God's people.

I love the Christian life.

Comments:
Our sympathy goes to you and your family on your losses.

We have two aunts who, God willing, will be 91 years old in a few weeks. We dread the day when we will no longer have them with us. We learn so much from them, what they tell us, how they live.

At this time of life, heaven does seem sweeter, doesn't it? We have so many more friends and family over on that side to look forward to enjoying their company again. And that's just for starters. As the years go by, our own relationship with the Lord grows sweeter, and it matters less whether we walk with Him here or if it's over there. Except we have more pain here!

May you find comfort in the loss of your dear loved ones.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?