Thursday, November 19, 2009

 

Andrew Joel Ridgell is two...


My grandson is two years old today. Andrew Joel is Joe Don and Jamie's boy and he is a sweet, happy child. He loves to be outdoors. He loves to play ball. And he loves his Pops.

He is the 4th generation of Joel Ridgell. My dad is Joel Wesley, I'm Stephen Joel, then Joel Don, then Andrew Joel. Pretty cool.

But I am most excited about a different legacy. He will be the fourth Ridgell man to follow Jesus. You may think at two years old I can't possibly know that. But I do. I knew Joe Don would be a man of faith. JD and I spent a lot of time hunting, fishing, and playing ball. I wanted him to do well in school and in his career. But more than anything I wanted him to be a follower of Jesus. That was the one legacy I wanted to pass on. So I worked hard at it. So did Marsha, and his Grandparents, and our church, and family friends.

Now I see Joe Don playing ball with Andrew. And he will learn to fish and hunt. But above anything else, Joe Don and Jamie want Andrew to know Jesus. And that is what they work the hardest at passing on... a real, personal, faith. Even at two years old. Just like they do with Anna. And just like Bobby and Julie do with Jake and Avery. It is who we are. It is what we do.

They are intentional. They are involved in church community and ministry. They are prayerful. And they live it in front of the kids. Andrew (and the other grandkids) will absorb it, they will live it, they will think it is normal. And someday they will make it personal.

That is what makes me happy on Andrew's 2nd birthday.

Comments:
So sweet Pops! And you are right...he does love his Pops. Thanks for the sweet words and thoughts about our big 2 year old boy!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?