Tuesday, November 10, 2009

 

Elder couples...

I know we call it elder selection, but it really is elder couple selection. So if you don't think Marsha will be a good elder's wife (or elderess, or whatever), then I won't be a good elder. Let me tell you why from some of our experiences.

It is true that we went to a motel and begged one of our members to get out of a sinful relationship. Couldn't do that unless Marsha was with me, and ready to go help her leave.

Ate last night with a sweet young couple celebrating his graduation from a treatment center and talking about the future. We have prayed, cried, slept with the cell phone beside the bed, counseled, and hugged lots with them. Can't do all that unless your spouse is completely bought in.

You can't do any marriage counseling without your spouse. In fact, at Southern Hills, we often bring our spouses into annointings, blessings, and shepherd counseling sessions. Sure makes it better for the sisters we meet with.

There are women who would never approach an elder with their struggles, but they will talk to a women. I have had women stop me in the Garden of Prayer just to ask if I would get Marsha to come pray with them. And I do.

She keeps me centered and focused when I can't take it any more.

So if she's out, I'm out. If she's in, I'm in. We're one. So if you're considering God's call to be recognized as a shepherd, you and your wife better both be hearing that call. If you are trying to identify shepherds, look at the couple. It is a package deal.

But don't be like the last time we selected elders. One of the current elder wives told me she was submitting my name. I graciously thanked her, to which she replied... "Oh it's not so much that I think you will be a good elder, but Marsha will be a great elder's wife." She was only half kidding. And she was right.

Feel free to share your elder couple thoughts.

Comments:
This makes me a little bit weepy -- with everything else today (what is WITH me today??) mainly because it is such a blessing to us to see godly couples modeled for us, who will not begrudge their spouse time away for other things. So thankful for the godly marriages I see in the elder couples at SoHills.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?