Thursday, December 17, 2009

 

Elder Accessibility

I have spent time during our elder selection process thinking about accessibility. How approachable is he? I think this concept comes from the text where it talks about being hospitable. And I certainly think it speaks to the involvement of his wife. I want my sheep to come to me when they are in trouble, or when they need me. We have typically expressed this concept in terms of desire: "Feel free to come see me."

I am convinced this characteristic is not one of intent, but of reality. It is not enough to be willing for people to come to you. Do they come to you? We all know people that just are not approachable. So I have tried to identify some things that make a shepherd approachable.

Openness. You have to invite people to share with you. It is worth repeating that your door is open and that you are available. Then back it up. I give out my cell phone number. And I return the calls.

Attitude. It is too easy to project an attitude that seems judgmental. Above all we must communicate grace and forgiveness. We do not have to be "soft on sin", but wounded, hurting people are not going to go to someone who will kick them while they are down.

Not self-righteous. I have spiritual wisdom. I know how to follow Jesus. I can help others do that. But most of that is because I am elderly, not just an elder. I have lived a long time, so I have learned a lot about following Jesus. And some of those lessons were not easy. I often tell people they can tell me anything because I can't imagine it will be worse than some of the things God has forgiven me for. Been there, done that in terms of sin and restoration.

Be careful with your words. I don't trust elders who say they are shocked at addictive behavior, or marriage trouble, or spiritual doubts. Why would I go to them. I am not sure about elders who act as if they have never had any sin struggles or problems in their marriage. We know it's not true, so why act like it is.

Reputation. Word gets around. Most of the people that come to us with problems have talked to someone we have helped in the past. Shepherding wounded people is a referral based ministry.

Results. When people share the deep struggles of their life and realize they are still loved and that there is hope, and then they really change... it gives others hope to do the same.

Authenticity. I really believe Jesus makes alcoholics sober, sexual addicts pure, angry people sweet, stingy people generous, and gossips trustworthy. I believe he heals broken relationships. I believe he sets captives free. I have seen spiritually blind people see, and spiritual cripples walk. I believe these things because I have seen them. He has done amazing things in my life. I know it to be real and people sense it.

Just some random thoughts. What do you think makes some people accessible, an others not? What are the things that would give you confidence to go to a certain person when you are in trouble?

Comments:
Great thoughts as usual. This quote gets my attention:

"...hurting people are not going to go to someone who will kick them while they are down."

My Dad used to say that the church tends "to shoot it's wounded". I agree in some cases. Being accessible, understanding, and forgiving are HUGE with me on this issue.

As to your question- someone who easily smiles and doesn't take themselves too seriously usually gets my trust. If you run around with a frown on your face, or if you worship with your arms folded AND a frown on your face- I can't trust you. You look skeptical, and to some- you look scary. You may not intend to convey this- but your body language is screaming the opposite. (We don't need more judgemental people in the world.)

People who can take a joke, don't take life too seriously, who can laugh at themselves and also cry with others- they get my vote.

There are some wonderful examples of people at SHCC who meet the positive attributes. I'm glad to know them personally, and I'm glad that they call me 'friend'.

-TMS
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?