Tuesday, December 01, 2009

 

Elders and leadership...

Not too long ago, our video ministry at Southern Hills asked some of the shepherds to share their goals for SH. I guess they were looking for numbers, programs, or big dream kind of statements. Mine was not anything like that, but they left it in anyway. I just said my goal was for all of my flock to get to heaven.

We can talk about casting vision, about setting goals, about dreaming big things for the kingdom. Those are all fine, but when everything is said and done ... the most important thing is to make sure my flock gets home safely.

So when thinking about the kind of men you want to follow, ask this question: If I follow this man, will I get to heaven? Will he show me Jesus? If I look through him, will I see Jesus?

And if I want to be a shepherd, the most important question for me is whether or not I am following Jesus. I better be, because people are following me. So this is not the time for false modesty. People need to know that if they follow me, I will lead them to heaven. It is the question I hope all of the men asked to serve are now asking themselves.

Personally, I may not have been perfect -- in fact, I'm still not perfect. I may not be a great theologian. I may not be a great vision caster. I may not communicate as well as I would like. There are lots of things I see in other elders that I wish I had. But one thing I am sure of is that I will follow Jesus to the day I die. All the way, all out, and holding nothing back.

And that's the kind of men I want to follow. And serve with.

So what do you think is the most critical aspect of leadership for an elder?

And by the way, for those curious... today is the deadline for those asked to lead our congregation to commit to the next stage of the process. That stage is a time for the congregation to get to know these men, ask questions, read our answers to the questionnaire, and raise any Biblical objections. Sunday will be the day we announce those names. So pray for those men.

Comments:
I'm thankful to you for your blog. It always makes for reflective reading as I continue my lifelong struggle with what it means to be a more pastoral church leader. Keep up the good thought!

David Chisholm
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?