Tuesday, December 22, 2009

 

He came to earth to find me...

I am not one who is particularly hung up on the religious aspect of Christmas. I don't believe it is any more significant than any other day. I don't think Jesus needs a special day to feel good about himself.

On the other hand, I am always excited when lots of people think about Jesus. It provides lots of open doors to share our testimony.

Of course, the birth of Jesus is easy to make into a "feel good, cutesy" story. Look at baby Jesus. Much easier sell than the cross. But I am not sure you can talk about the birth without talking about the death.

But here is the most striking thing to me always. God's Son left home to come find me. In my rebellion, my sin, my messy life... God sent a Son to save me. He didn't set up a series of doctrines for me to understand. He didn't set up a series of acts for me to accomplish so I could get back in His good graces.

He sent His son. And it wasn't a quick trip. He lived among us. Jesus gets it. He was tempted. He "got his hands dirty" with people just like me. He understands what I go thru.

He showed me how much he loved me. He came to find me. I believe in the virgin birth. I think it is remarkable that the good news was announced to shepherds. But most astounding of all is that Jesus showed up. In my world. So I could be part of his world. Forever.

And that is worth celebrating forever. And I will.

Comments:
I, too, wrote on my blog about celebrating Christmas in church -- and I am so glad that we do. I think that as a mom, I look at it as more of a story of Mary and Joseph and their obedience than I do the story of Jesus. Yes, it's all about Jesus and God and God's love for us, but I love to hear again and again how frightened Mary must have been, how out of control her world must have seemed, how Joseph even wanted to leave her, yet God held her in His palm. That's what I identify with at this time of year. It testifies to me greatly.

And, indeed, it would have meant nothing if there hadn't been a cross. Overwhelming and precious. Merry Christmas, World.
 
enough said, steve ridgell...i love Christmas and all of the things and people that go with it...but the whole Thing is so much bigger. Wow! I praise God everyday for all of his blessings...and I recognize the need for His trials for me...they have definitely made me stronger.

God Bless...and Merry Christmas! You and Miss Marsha are such a blessing to the Glovers! There are no words!
 
No tricky codes to break, no mysterious predictions to interpret...just simple truth. The trees, lights and presents add tangible enjoyment to it, but the beauty is God's unquestioned love for us.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?