Thursday, February 11, 2010

 

Counting the cost...

OK. Help me out. In Luke, Jesus talks about counting the cost so that the money doesn't run out before the building is done. So is that a passage about commitment and discipleship... or is it about stewardship?

I admit I am not good with budgets. I am always cranked up by discussions that start with the great things God will do and end with "...but the budget...". I just do not get how we say we are asking God to do great things but then restrict him to what we are currently giving, or what we think we can give. That seems to me to be asking God to bless what we can do. I don't see how there is much faith in that.

And I am probably too hung up on the feeding of the 5000. Phillip worked out a budget while Andrew brought a child with his lunch. Jesus thanked God for it and fed 5000.

So I am asking for input. Do we limit God by our insistence on budgets? Or does that reflect good stewardship?

Comments:
When we ask God for help, we MUST have faith that he is going to help us out or give us what He thinks is a better way. We make budgets to cover what we think we can do based on what we have done in the past and what should be done in the future. When something comes up that is not budgeted per se, we ask God for guidance and we dig in our pockets a little deeper to handle it. God will bless us for trying harder.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?