Monday, February 08, 2010

 

Thoughts on preaching...

It happened again Sunday. Someone asked why I don't go into preaching. I first reminded them that I preach a lot for Herald of Truth -- just a different place each Sunday. When I am not preaching somewhere for HoT, I am often preaching somewhere as a fill-in or as a guest preacher. And even at Southern Hills I preach most Wed. nites during the school year. But I know what they mean. Why don't I go into full-time located preaching?

It dawns on me that I have the wrong philosophy for today's preachers in the church of Christ. I think preachers ought to preach. The hot phrase for preachers today is Senior Minister. I am not sure I would want to do that.

I don't want to lead a church. I'd leave that to the elders. Senior ministers want to lead churches.

I think preachers should be evangelists, not pastors. I think there is Biblical evidence for preaching elders, but I don't think it automatically comes with the territory. I think elders should do the pastoring. And by nature I am an evangelist.

I think a shared pulpit is the best approach to communicating God's Word today. We do a lot of that in HIP, our Wed. nite service. I think that is a good model for Sunday too.

So in today's church culture I am not sure I could even fit the model for what churches, and preachers, are expected to be.

So maybe I am not cut out to be a local preacher. Some day it will come full circle and once again churches will want preaching evangelists. I figure I'll be about eighty by then.

So maybe that's why I am not interested in being a local preacher any more. But I do think some of my reasons need to be thought thru by preachers and churches. What should local preachers really do?

What do you think?

Comments:
Wait a minute! You are an elder, sheperd and leader. But you dont want to lead a church?? I sometimes wonder if i am cut out to be a preacher in a local congregation, but i have never found a more rewarding work than here in Haskell. Thanks brother. peace
 
I think you are a man of God that is listening to His voice. Have you ever really every known a successful "preacher" that, in some way, was not also a Shepherd? A high "Calling", awesome responsibility, due double honor. L

Lead your "flock" HOME, my brother.

God Bless Steve...RIGHT NOW
 
Above from me...Foy
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?