Thursday, March 25, 2010

 

178 years of marriage...

Yesterday my in-laws, Don and Jean Herttenberger, celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary. Two weeks ago, my folks celebrated the 61st. Julie and Bobby just celebrated their 5th. I know, March is a big marriage month in our family. By the end of the summer, Marsha and I will hit 37 and Joe Don and Jamie will hit 10. So when our family is togther, we have 178 years of marriage in one room. So let me share what I have learned about marriage.

... Don't quit. There were numerous times when any of these 10 could have -- maybe even had the thought cross their mind -- walked away. They all chose not to.

... Survive the tough times. There have been serious issues concerning health, money, family dynamics, sin, and struggle. But we are all happy and upbeat. It's a choice we all make.

... Example is powerful. My four (with a fifth one coming late summer) grandkids will grow up with really strong images of lasting love, faithfulness, forgivess, joy, and tolerance. Just like my kids did. Just like Marsha and I did.

... Love conquors all. Love for God, love for the church, love for family, love for your mate. It is real.

... God is faithful. The strongest lesson of all is that God is the answer to everything. All 10 of us are faithful Christians. All of us are deeply involved in church.

So what can you learn from the Ridgell, Herttenberger, Gilbreth 178 years? Love God, love each other, and love marriage. It works.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?