Thursday, March 04, 2010

 

Shepherds and Oversight...

I grew up in churches of Christ when elders really functioned well as a Board of Directors. They wanted to know everything and be responsible for everything that might happen in their local congregation. They were good with budgets, hiring staff, and evaluating the effectiveness of missionaries, local staff, and church programs. They were very good at oversight and administration. They set the direction for the church. They made decisions about doctrinal matters.

I don't remember hearing -- or seeing -- much about shepherding. I do remember praying about people, but I didn't see much praying with people. I don't know that it would have ever occured to me to go to an elder with a spiritual struggle. I guess if any shepherding was done, it was done by the preacher. He might not have been equipped for it, it might not should have been his job... but he did it. Many preachers sought that role by encouraging members to come to them with their problems.

Those growing up in churches of Christ today will someday talk about elderships that were very intentional about shepherding. They prayed for people, they annointed the sick, and they were involved in the lives of their flock.

They will wonder why they did not exerercise oversight of their congregations. Today elders seek to be shepherds and to spend almost all their time in working with people. So I guess the preachers are doing most of the oversight. In many congregations the ministerial staff sets the budget, spends the money, and evaluates programs. Senior ministerial staff hires -- and fires -- other staff. Preachers "cast the vision" and often set the doctrinal tone. Many preachers want the "senior pastor" role -- in practice if not in name.

I wonder why our fellowship always goes from one extreme to the other. It seems to me that elders have responsibility for shepherding and for oversight. Every church needs elders who are passionate about being in the lives of their flock. But they also need elders committed to overseeing the congregation.

Personally, I am a shepherd at heart. It is what I was made to do and what I am effective at doing. But I am glad I have fellow elders gifted at overseeing our congregation. Maybe these activities are two sides of the same coin.

Just my thoughts. How about yours?

Comments:
Steve I too am an elder. I liked your blog post. It seems to me that the "Senior Minister" or "Staff" are sheep under your care. They too must be "overseen." and the "elders" "shepherds" must oversee each other (Acts 20) If "overseer" "bishop" fits the same role as "elder" from a Biblical standpoint and I believe it does. Then you point is right on. We cannot abdicate that the buck of local undersherding stops here. Of course we are all under the chief shepherd.
Larry Wishard
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Bingo!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?