Wednesday, May 12, 2010

 

Compassion and Christians

My daughter Julie stopped this morning to help someone who had fallen while walking. She had tripped in a hole and her companion could not get her up. Julie had Jake and Avery with her and explained that since she was a nurse she was going to stop and see if she could help the lady.

She checked her ankle, helped her up, took her back to where she lived, and helped her get settled back in her house. The lady asked her if she was a Christian. Jules said yes and that she went to Southern Hills. The lady said God had sent an angel to help her.

When Julie got back with the kids, Jake told her she had compassion. He is 4 and had been studying about compassion in Bible class. It was in one of his memory verses.

I'm proud of Julie but that is not why I am blogging about this. I am really struck by the lessons I learned from this. Of course, I am reminded why we have Bible class for our children. And it reinforces that Jesus needs to be seen at home to partner with what is taught at church.

But here is what really struck me: the question the lady asked. Are you a Christian? She assumed Julie must have been because she helped. I hear a lot about the negative reputation of Christianity but I doubt any other group has this kind of assumption made about them. But Christians do. Who else consistently plays the "good Samaritan" besides us? We are Christ's followers, and the world may think more highly of us than we think.

I know the lady may have been a Christian and that's why she sensed a kindred spirit. Or maybe our reputation precedes us. And I know that since Julie is a nurse she is more equipped to handle something like this. But it still reminds me of what I want to be about as a Jesus follower. And I'm glad Julie told her where she is a member. Maybe we'll see her again.

Just thought you might like to hear a Jesus story.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?