Thursday, May 27, 2010

 

Meeting needs and church decisions...

I sit in on a lot of discussions about meeting needs and church programs and/or worship. I like the concept. Jesus certainly met needs. He fed the hungry, healed the sick, and gave sight to the blind. And in dying on the cross, he certainly met our biggest need.

But lately I have become concerned about the focus of some of these conversations. I sometimes hear intense discussions and planning on how to provide for the physical needs of our community, and even emotional needs. I don't hear as much about how that opens the door to talk about filling the greatest need.

Lots of talk about being the kingdom of God in this world. Not so much about bringing the people of this world into the kingdom of God.

And I hear more Christians discuss -- or complain --about how church must meet their needs. If we are Christians, our greatest need has been met. I would even suggest that when I was crucified with Christ I gave up the right to be concerned about my needs being met.

I want to hear discussions about meeting the needs of others. Jesus put us before himself. The Son of God met our needs. Selfish, sinful, immature, full of ourselves us became the focus of God's action. It's why Jesus came.

So if we want to be like Jesus... does that reframe the whole need based discussion?

Feel free to weigh in.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?