Tuesday, June 08, 2010

 

Jesus vs. Culture

I know we want to think that the church is never influenced by culture. But we are. Much better to identify some of these influences and acknowledge them so we can overcome them. Our culture is incredibly materialistic. Posseessions, income, standard of living are all measures of success in our culture. How big a house can you buy? How much can I give/provide/spoil my children?

So has that influenced the church?

Why are we so building crazy? Bigger, nicer, and more elaborate. But only because that is the most effective way to do ministry. Of course that has nothing to do with our culture.

Do we view economic prosperity as an opportunity to do more good for the kingdom, or as an opportunity to up our standard of living -- though of course increasing our giving proportionally?

How many Christians do you know that maintained a basic standard of living and as they recieved more actually gave more to the kingdom? Or do we assume that more financial blessings mean that God wants us to increase our standard of living?

Culture would lead us to see financial success as a sign of spirituality and at least we do not do that in any of our churches. We understand that success in business does not automatically make a man qualified to be an elder. Don't we?

I just have to wonder what would happen if we all picked an income level (after prayer and spiritual discussion) that we would pledge to maintain. Then ask God to give us more, understanding that we would use everything above that level for kingdom business.

Now that would be counter-cultural. I am not claiming to have all of this worked out, becasuse I too am a product of my culture. But I do think the discussion is worth having.

Just my thoughts.

Comments:
Great post and very applicable. This subject has been on my mind a lot recently and two things keep popping up. We need to start asking how much should I keep rather than how much should I give. Second, I heard a comment this morning from Dale Brooks at church who said one of the reasons we fail to be as generous as we should is because we are so familiar with what we are giving and so unfamiliar with what we are receiving. Essentially, we are too familiar with the dollar bill and the false hope it brings and we are too unfamiliar with the blessings promised by God for those who give abundently (1 Tim 6 comes to mind -- life that is truly life).I love the idea of capping your income and it makes sense to do that the younger you are because the more you cater to your wants the more they become needs in your mind. I have plenty more for a later discussion. JD
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?