Tuesday, August 03, 2010

 

Directional Christianity

Thinking about "directional" Christianity lately.

Some Christians are "downward" focused. Everything they do is driven by guilt or fear of Hell. Symptoms include lots of talk about duty and work. Often ends up in legalistic expressions of spirituality because of the fear that we may not get everything right. Key assumption: we can get everything right... and we better. Or else.

Some are "inward" focused. The key expression of spirituality is worship. And by that, they mean worship as they like it to be. Discussion is about how there is a right way to worship, or a more effective way to worship. And they always happen to be the way we like worship to be. Symptoms include lots of buildings, ministry staff, and programs. Often results in active youth groups with multiple ministers and programs. And change (replace staff or find another congregation) if children's needs are not being met. Key assumption: we have to change the church to fit the correct blueprint before we can really please us ... oops, I mean please God.

"Outward" focused Christianity is heavy on evangelism and missions. The hot trend among these Christians today is service projects, seeker friendly assemblies, and on meeting the needs of our communities. It is easy for these Christians to drift into guilt, works, and an endless search for the next sure-fire program to reach the lost. Key assumption: the most important call is the Great Commission, and the truely passionate and committed "get it".

"Upward" focused Christianity is the only one that really lasts. It is manifested by an intense desire to please God, realizing that worship is about Him, not us. It realizes that ministry is about His glory, never ours. It understands the purpose of evangelism is to bring people to a right relationship with God. Key assumption: everything is about God.

I find myself desiring to be an upward Christian, but those of you who know me well know that I can get into the outward focus very easily. And it is obvious that I have little patience for downward or inward focused Christianity. I shepherd in a church that strives to be upward focused, that wants to express that in an outward focus, but I too often find myself dealing with problems caused by an inward focus.

So how about you? Where do find yourself? How about your church?

Comments:
You start by saying "Christians" but you describe churches.

I am "inward" focused, but not in the way you describe here (b/c I am a singular Christian -- not an entire church body) -- I am an introvert (I know -- no one believes it, but it is true). I am recharged by being away from people, and tend to spend a LOT of energy seeking out time for me to be recharging with time with the Lord and renewing my spirit that way.

The danger for me is that I am content to spend all my time and energy with just me and the Lord -- and what good is that? Not only do I need to take the opportunity to see ALL of my "outward" time: PTA, grocery store, the gym, anywhere my feet touch this planet as an opportunity to be His servant and His witness, I need to stop looking at it as "stealing" my time away from Him. It's my greatest act of worship, so says Romans 12:1
 
I like the idea of recharging batteries by being with the Lord, then using the energy He gives to reach others. In your case, since I know you, I know you have great gifts to use in helping others. Blessings.
 
I appreciate this post. Mind if I repost it?
 
Thanks Daniel. Feel free, just give proper credit. Checking your blog. Blessings.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?