Wednesday, November 17, 2010

 

Deacon/Deaconess

Southern Hills recently went thru a selection process for Deacons. There was much spirited discussion among elders and ministers about the whether women should serve officially as Deacons. Our elders decided that Deacons should be men, tho we do have a number of women serving as ministry leaders. And a number of men chose not to be Deacons but continue leading in certain ministries. So I thought I might share my thoughts on this.

First let me say that this issue has been discussed and debated for centuries in the church. I know strong scholars on both sides of the issue. I do not believe this is a salvation issue. I don't believe that church organization issues determine who is saved. That is not to say that there is not truth on the subject. Women either were -- or were not -- Deacons in the New Testament. And they either can -- or they can't -- be Deacons today. It is even possible that it doesn't matter.

They basic positions are: Deacons are men only, or deacons may be men or women. There is a third position rarely talked about: that couples (husband and wive) serve together as Deacons.
I am not a scholar. I am certainly not a Greek scholar. But I will look at some pertinent passages and try to raise a few questions. So over the next few posts I will look at the word deacon, I Timothy 3, Acts 6, Phoebe, and Deborah.

And let me add one more thing. Most Christ centered people I know are not concerned about titles. But the Southern Hills elders had to decide whether to have Deacons or not, and whether they could be men and women or not. So I have thought, studied, and prayed about this. I do not agree 100% with how we addressed this issue. I didn't agree with everything preached on this. And everyone didn't, and won't, agree with me on everything. But best of all, our congregation accepted the decision and all went forward. Unity in spite of differences. Pretty cool concept.

Comments:
You are so right, it is much more important to be unified at the local level than to be unified in pattern at the global level. Phil's lesson, "such as a time as..." allows us to see and experience God-purposed journeys that may not be intended for everyone at the same time with the same results. We are on the same highway but at different speeds and in different vehicles.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?