Tuesday, January 11, 2011

 

Jake turned five Sunday...

My grandson Jake Gilbreth turned five Sunday and gave me one of the greatest weekends of my life.

It started with the birthday party at the zoo. It was fantastic. But I really enjoyed watching Jake interact with everyone. He is sweet, polite, and generous. It's pretty cool to see your grandson becoming a good person.

But it was two other things that really stood out to me. He colored pictures for everyone who came to his party. 30 or more pictures. He gave one to everyone, including zoo personnel, accompained by a "thank-you for coming to my party." You are thinking that got to me because it reflects the whole becoming a good person thing. Nope. It gets to me because I think how much he is starting to reflect how Jesus treats people. I hope he never changes.

Sunday was his birthday and I happened to be preaching at Southern Hills. As is our custom, Jake went to Kid's Praise Time after our children's offering. I was just starting my sermon when he and his Dad came walking back into the auditorium. Bobby had told Jake I was preaching and Jake wanted to come hear Pops. Sat still and focused the whole time. Now that could be because my preaching is on about a five year old's level. It could because Bobby told him OK but only if he sat still.

But I choose to think it was tied up what Pops and Jesus mean to Jake. And I like that. He may not understand it all now. But he will. I pray everyday for Jake (and for Avery, Anna, Andrew, and Austin). I pray they will keep learning to live like Jesus.

So it was Jake's birthday, but I got the present. Oh yeah, he also told me that for his birthday he would come spend the night any time I wanted. I'll take him up on that.

So I love you Jake. You make me proud. And more important, you make God proud. Keep it up. (Mom, you will have to read this to him. He's smart, but not that smart yet.)

Comments:
That was a wonderful present for a 5 year old. Shows how much he loves his Pop.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?