Tuesday, January 18, 2011

 

Who is denominational?

In a discussion the other day about local churches working with para-church ministries, the point was made that the non-profit wanted everyone to know they were non-denominational and would not tolerate the insertion of denominational doctrine. This usually means they are concerned about the "church of Christ" doctrine of baptism as opposed to the "non-denominational" doctrine they practice: the believer's prayer.

I find that interesting. First of all, they have the right to hold to any doctrine they wish. It is their non-profit, not mine. They do not have to agree with me and I do not have to support them if I do not agree with them. I just find it odd that something in the Bible is labeled as denominational, while something not mentioned in the Bible is non-denominational.

Very strange. It occured to me that most of us think what we believe is non-denominational and anyone that disagrees is denominational.

So for me, I think the safest thing is just to stick with the Bible. No one has to agree with me, just don't draw lines where God did not and then call me denominational.

Just some of my reflections.

Thoughts?

Comments:
My experience with non-denominational churches has been, everyone is supposed to feel good and loved and supported. They seem to be very popular because of this concept.

It seems to me, it is another way society has grayed the area of right and wrong.

I agree with you, we need to stick to the Bible, provide some guideline for living, otherwise everything becomes becomes the color gray. The Bible is very clear about adding or taking away from the existing text.

Just my thoughts....
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?