Monday, February 14, 2011

 

How old people celebrate Valentine's day...

Marsha and I have been married almost 38 years so we have spent a lot of Valentine weekends together. Here's what ours looked like this year. Saturday morning my son-in-law and I met over at Marsha's folks to do a couple of projects for them. Then I took Grandpa up to the farm and tackled some of the projects he can't get to any more. Got home in time to work in the yard on a couple of projects that don't get done when I'm preaching away most weekends.

Saturday night we kept Julie and Bobby's kids while they ate out with their small group from church. Ended up keeping the kids all night. Bobby had to take Julie to the emergency room with a horrific migrane (think she'll be OK. thanks God). I got to sleep on the floor with Jake --I probably thought that was fun too when I was 5, not so much at 59. Avery slept in my bed with Mimi.

Church Sunday morning involved lots of visiting, counseling, an annointing, and some praying. Of course, we were doing this in different orbits but it is what we enjoy. Decided to go to Jason's Deli for lunch. Saw 4 or 5 groups from Southern Hills so we got to do some more visiting and eldering.

Then it happened. We were eating -- her healthy sandwich and my loaded potatoe --when I looked up and saw her. I know this will sound wierd but even after all these years it still happens at those unexpected moments. She took my breath away. I realized again how really beautiful she is.

Maybe it's because she is such a great Mom and a Mimi. Maybe it's because I watch her with people and realize how good she is at being there and listening. Maybe it's because she loves me so much. But she still lights up the room for me. Still takes my breath away.

Now you're thinking ... what's next. Well... Sunday afternoon we cleaned the house because we hosted small group at our house. But tonight we'll finally celebrate Valentine's. As soon as she gets thru taking her Dad to the Doctor, checking on her Mom and helping with the grandkids after school. And as soon as I get back from running to the hospital to check on one of our neighbors.

And we'll sit down over cooked out steaks ... and I'll look up and she'll take my breath away and once again I'll thank God for her.

And that's a pretty good Valentine. For old folks. And maybe for young ones too.

Comments:
This is sweet. You are not old!
 
Love It!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?