Friday, February 18, 2011

 

Mr. Deacon....

My cousin, Eppie Elmore, just resigned as a Deacon from the Winnsboro church of Christ after 35 years. Wow. I think that kind of service and dedication should be celebrated. Now I admit he is my cousin so I may be biased, but that is awesome. He is battling some health issues so cannot be as active as he wants so he is stepping down.

His wife Lou converted Eppie. And my Mom and Dad have been their spiritual role models so we have lots of connections. And I preached at their congregation when our kids were little and they were a great early influence in their life.

Eppie never wants the limelight, and he will think I shouldn't have written this. He and Lou just serve people. They have cooked, worked, evangelized, set up, drove vans, taken people to the hospital, and so much more than anyone will ever know.

And they still will. As long as they are able. Sometimes we wait until people have gone home before we celebrate them. I hope they have many more years. But this is fantastic.

So Eppie -- well done. 35 years of serving people and giving all the glory to God. You and Lou are two of my spiritual heros.


God, help me to be more like Eppie.

Comments:
I sincerely hope that the church where he works not only celebrates the work that your cousin and his wife have done, but finds someone to continue the work.

The church where I work started a nursing home ministry several years ago. One by one everybody except my wife and me dropped out. We continued for over a year on our own, a worship service and providing communion every Sunday morning. Like your cousin I am not said this with my name attached because I am not patting myself on the back. I am disturbed about the dedication of the brotherhood in our area.

When my wife and I were unable to continue recently because of our health the only people who were concerned or even said thank you were the administration and residents of the home. We tried to get another congregation to take over the service but none of the neighboring congregations were interested. My congregation assured me that we should not worry about, stopping just barely short of saying we wouldn't be missed.

I am still hoping and praying that someone will take up the slack and provide for these dear souls
 
Yeah, Eppie!
Thanks for writing this, Steve.

Mark Edge
 
Thanks for all the love, devotion, and hard work Eppie and Lou. Winnsboro was a wonderful congeration to be associated with, and I have carried those memories with me over the years thru good times and bad.

I wish I could say I found another Winnsboro, but I never did.

Thanks for sharing Steve,
Eloise Fausett-Joseph
 
Hey Eloise. Those were good days, weren't they? Memories of some of those sweet people have helped all of us. I'll tell Ep and Lou hello from you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?