Wednesday, March 23, 2011

 

Hell, God, and Who's in or out...

It seems there is much talk these days about universal salvation, the reality of hell, defining what a "loving" God must mean, and the whole concept of judgment. Please know that I am not a theologian. I am not even a great thinker. Most of the famous evangelical writers will never have heard of me. Most people will never solicit my opinion about the great debate now going on about these things.

But there are certain things that seem clear to me.

Hell is real. I may not know everything about it, but I know this: I don't want to go there. I don't want anyone I love to go there.

I want to live forever with God. I want everyone to -- tho not as much as He does. But because of how much He does, I'm learning how much I do. That positive force is much stronger than my fear of hell. But that does not mean hell is not real.

I get very nervous when we try to explain God as if we understand Him. Get real. We can no more understand God than my dog understands me. I can love Him, I can worship Him, I can obey Him, I can know Him. Not sure I am able to understand Him. So I get nervous when people claim to explain God.

He is complex. I don't understand lots about the Old Testament, but some things God does I just don't understand. I guess that is why He is God. And not me. But I think there are things in the Old Testament that reveal certain aspects of His character. And some of them are scary.

If there is no hell, and no way a loving God could send anyone there, -- doesn't that take the edge off the urgency to make disciples of all nations? If it is going to get done in the end anyway, why the urgency to sacrifice to evangelize now?

Some of this debate sounds like second chance theology. Better to follow Jesus now, but if not... well, you'll get your chance eventually. You sure better be right if you are going to leave that impression.

I don't want to be judgmental about hell if I shouldn't be. I don't want to be judgmental about heaven either. I think judgment is God's business, not mine.

So I think I'll keep loving God and following Jesus. For me, that includes telling everyone I can about the good news of Jesus. I am like one snatched from the burning fire and made into royalty (Zecariah 3: 1-10). I want everyone else to have that too.

God loved me enough to send a Son to save me. That love compels me. So I''ll just keep snatching people out of the fire. God can explain exactly what it all means later. After all, He'll have an eternity to tell me.

Comments:
I wish we would all recite one line from your blog every day (or more) as our own faith mantra, "I get very nervous when we try to explain God as if we understand Him." I'm waiting for Rob Bell's book (the source of the brouhaha) to arrive today or tomorrow). I appreciate his gift for asking questions and getting people to think. The issue of Universal Salvation is nearly as old as the Church itself. It's unlikely that this book will increase it's adherents or make it go away. I think Bell's questions are more likely about the NATURE of Hell, rather than its existence. I'm OK with that, since I find great value in seeking to discern between what God says and what people SAY God MEANS. Even if Bell believes "hell" is an eternal separation from God of our own stubborn choosing (as opposed to what he may think of as a figurative "lake of fire"), I don't think that "takes the edge off the urgency.... There is NOTHING more frightening than the idea of separation from God. I'm looking forward to reading the book. I hope it leads to real conversations. Great blog! - David Wright, San Jose, CA
 
Indeed, I get nervous about claims concerning God too, but there is one aspect of it that brings a touch of comfort to me - it is a thirst for understanding. Maybe I am being naive about this generalization, but here is my view on that: I think this issue personally stems from a ravenous desire to understand and grow closer to Him. I want so badly to be connected to God so that I can reach down to others and bring them closer to Him. Sometimes, I throw out ideas as suggestions so that my weaknesses may be brought into the light and sharpened by brethren ("as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another"). Unfortunately, sometimes it is easy for us to fall into that quicksand without us knowing it. It is certainly a delicate balance and thin line to walk. I won't ever claim to understand God, but I will never stop trying to (even though it will never be accomplished). That, in my opinion, is the essence of a relationship.
 
I am looking forward to reading Bell's book also. Anytime you can create interest in a question that pertains to eternity causing people to search the scriptures you are successful on some level.

To me the question is do I follow the scriptures out of love or out of fear? If I am following out of love, fear of Hell does not even come into the picture.

Just my thoughts,
 
Good thoughts. And I do believe in hell, but I am much more motivated by how much God loves someone like me. Amazing.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?