Tuesday, April 12, 2011

 

Thinking about core beliefs

I have been thinking quite a bit over the past few months about what is absolutely, without compromise, my core conviction. Our elders at Southern Hills have had vigerous thought and discussion about what our congregational core beliefs should be. I will share in later posts what we came up with -- and it fits with my personal conviction. But first I want to share the thought process. First of all, I wanted it to line up with Scripture. I want my core conviction to line up with what God says. Second, I wanted it to reflect Jesus. After all, I worship -- and serve as elder -- at a church of Christ and I believe that to be descriptive not a title. In practical terms, I wanted it to be easy to remember and to share. I am convinced that if we can not easily explain our beliefs to each other and to outsiders, then we are probably not going to be able to live in harmony with what we say is core. In other words, I wanted an answer to the question "so what does Southern Hills (or the church of Christ, or your church, or you) believe anyway?" I wanted it to something that translates into life. I am convicted that our beliefs must be something that can be lived out in this world. Something more than just intellectual assent, but that demanded life buy-in. Finally, I wanted to be sure it was only the things I could not -- would not -- compromise on. I wanted it to be the belief that any church I went to must have. I wanted it to be only what is essential for God's people. So there are lots of things I believe that are not part of my core beliefs. I believe them to be true and right, but not core. I did come up with three things that are my core beliefs. Our elders did too. Southern Hills members will be hearing more about this over the next few months. And obviously my core convictions and the ones of Southern Hills align. They may not work for everyone. Some may think core things are left out. Others may think things included are not core. But it is simple to understand, easy to share, and it is doable as kingdom people in this world. I will be sharing them over the next few posts. So in the meantime... what process do you value to determine your core beliefs? What did I miss that should have been factored in?

Comments:
Wonderful post. I look forward to seeing your core list. Very encouraging to know that the SHCC leaders are having this discussion. We tend to be ready to quote scripture to people, but not to "give an answer" for the hope within us as individual humans.

This is probably not an easy task - it depends on so much - our culture, our upbringing, the particular systematic theology we employ or adhere to (intentionally or un), what we believe about God, Scripture, the Holy Spirit, Trinity, and on and on.

I was curious about how your own "core beliefs" might line up with your fellow elders and/or any stated beliefs that the SHCC congregation adopts. Is it NECESSARY for them to line up? I suppose it might be, at least for those irreducible core "tenets" of our faith.

Is one's perspective on Scripture (nature of inspiration, purpose of Scripture), or on the Holy Spirit (hoo, boy) a "core belief"?

I know people who articulate their faith as, "God loves me". That may be simplistic, but I think it's a good starting point. It doesn't necessarily help with the thorny issues that divide, confuse and preoccupy us, but I guess I'd call it my #1. - David Wright, San Jose, CA
 
I do not profess to be a member of the Church of Christ, but my core values, and religious values hopefully are close to being one and the same. That is "WWJD" in every day situations that arise.

As I read the New Testament, I am reminded daily of the simplicity of Christ's commands: feed my sheep, love ye one another, as I have loved you, and forgive one another. These are not difficult to understand, but at times are difficult to put into practice.

As a christian, these simple commands make up my core beliefs. From a religious standpoint, my actions should provide an insight to others as to what my core beliefs are.
 
I'm curious to read more...will your core beliefs be 'church of Christ' core beliefs or Jesus core beliefs?
 
I guess you have read more now. I am not sure I could speak for church of Christ core beliefs, but I am an elder at Southern Hills church of Christ and this is our core belief statement including the way we live it out individually (see last post I wrote) and in community (see the next post when I get it written).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?