Wednesday, June 15, 2011

 

Changing churches: image vs. reality

I want my church to be better. I think that is true with most people. I think that is true with the majority of people in the churches I visit. And I think, pray, and wrestle with the best way to lead God's people in accomplishing this. But I think we generally go about this the wrong way.

Our answer to being a better church seems to always center on the same ideas. Get a better program, build something, adopt a better organizational model, change the ministerial staff.

Individually, those who want to lead this change seem to have the same approach. Criticize the results and methods now in place. Create a task force, committee, focus group, vision team, or ministry team. Ask to be lead the group, or at least be in the group. Spend lots of time and energy to come up the the right program, building, model, or staff.

Repeat as often as possible. If you do not get a lead voice in this process, threaten to leave. If you are in an area with lots of churches, go to the one that "gets" it. When you find out they are not everything they could be (because none are), repeat again. If you don't have other options, split -- oops, I mean start -- another congregation.

I wonder what would happen if we all decided to change by doing. What if we just got out in the world and talked about Jesus. Got invested in the lives of your spiritual family to the point where true accountiblity is practiced. Heal, restore, disciple, grow.

But it is easier to talk, plan, and organize than to do. Always has been. Always will be. I used to wonder if it was just where I worship, but in meeting with Christians and church leaders all over the United States and the world I see the same thing.

So I am trying to make sure I act, not just talk about it. Lead by example. If no one follows, I will still be making a difference in this world and in the kingdom of God. Sure beats talking about making a difference.

And just maybe the way to change the church ... is to change me.

Comments:
Nice thoughts Steve. I think the Church can also facilitate the process by sending programmatic resources towards supporting what people are already doing, instead of trying to launch the people into something which the leadership has randomly chosen to be worthy or doable.
 
"Feed my sheep" is a very simple command.
If you have ever spent any time around animals you will note their requirements are basic.
To me the question is, when was it o.k. to change the simplicity of the command? When did it become acceptable to insert our "felt needs" into Christ commands?
I think churches need to go back to basics, and simplicity of action.
 
Hey Daniel. Good point. That becomes an enabling ministry as opposed to a top down model. People will always "vote" with their time and energy as to what they are invested in. Good to hear from you. Blessings.
 
Eloise, You got it. we have somehow let everything become about me -- what I want, what I think I need. I like the idea of simple church, simple life. Hope you guys are well.
 
http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god/church/features/25838-five-things-we-wish-the-church-knew
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?