Tuesday, August 09, 2011

 

Our Austin is one year old today

It's another birthday for one of our grandkids. Today Austin James Ridgell turned one. I have a lot of mixed feelings about it. The other four are really developing their personalities and I can already see faith in action in their lives. But with Austin I don't know yet. About all I know about him is that he laughs and smiles alot. And even if his Mommy and Daddy read this to him, he won't get it. Not yet.

But here is what I thought about today.

I'm getting older but it doesn't bother me much. I know I must be old because all my babies not only had babies, but their babies are growing older. Fast. But I like it. When I was a Dad, I was so busy making a living, dealing with my own growing up, and so caught up in the moment that I barely had time to enjoy my kids. And I spent a lot of time with them. But as Dad I was always thinking about what I needed to do -- could do -- to mold and shape them into Jesus people. But as a Pops I can just enjoy the ride.

So what do I do as Pops for Austin. I pray lots, give advice if I am asked (tho JD is a better Dad than I ever was so most of my advice is in the form of "...if I had it to do over again"), and revel in the joy of being Pops.

I wonder what great things he will do for the Lord. Some of you think I meant if, but I don't. I have no doubt that he will be faithful to the Lord just like the other four. I am not naive or arrogant, but I see how intentional both kids and spouses are about imparting faith. And, no, I never doubted Julie or Joe Don would have faith. Notice I don't say perfect, but faithful. And I believe the power of faithful parents sharing faith and God's Word is stronger than the world.

I wonder what his spiritual battles will be. And he will have them because we live in a fallen world.

I wonder who he will marry. I do already pray for her even tho I don't know her. I pray for all five future mates of my grandkids. Just like I prayed for Bobby and Jamie even before I knew who they were specifically.

Mostly I realized today how blessed and happy I am. God has been good to me and mine. He got us thru the tough times, and there have been more than a few. He's given good times, and there have been way more of those than we deserve.

So happy birthday Austin. You are part of an incredible family. You remind me how great our God is. I see His work in you. And I look forward to watching what He does with you in the future. So even tho I don't think I am old, you will. It's OK because it means I will have enjoyed our years together.

Listen to Mommy and Daddy. And Anna and Andrew most of the time. :)

Thanks God for giving us Austin. You did good.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?