Thursday, August 18, 2011

 

What to do when you can't do it all ....

I can't do everything at church, but I feel guilty when I don't.

I hear this from elders, preachers, and members. I hear it from those at small congregations because there is so much that needs doing and so few to do it. I hear it at large congregations because there are so many ministries and opportunities.

So how do you decide where to commit your time, energy, and resources?

I tell you what has worked for me: matching my talents and my passion. Your talent is what you are good at. Maybe it is a gift you were born with, or maybe something you developed with training and practice. Maybe it is something life experience has equipped you to do well. If you are not sure where your talent lies, try different ministries. It will become clear to you. People will let you know. If you are not good at certain ministries, don't do them. For years we told every young man that he could preach and/or lead singing. But some were no good at it. They were miserable and so was the poor congregation.

Then match your talent with something that lights your fire. What is it you love to do? What excites you in ministry? And remember that over time, your passion may change. Some love youth ministry but see that passion fade when their children are no longer teenagers.

But you can't do everything. I think I am a gifted teacher and preacher. I think I connect with people. I love to help people learn about Jesus and decide to follow him. I am passionate about helping stuggling Christians find grace, healing, redemption, and restoration.

So I spend most of my time preaching and teaching at Southern Hills, around the country, and even around the world. I focus on evangelism. And as and elder, I mostly do "spiritual triage" work. I like it and I'm good at it.

But that means there are lots of other things I don't do. I don't spend much time on programs, budgets, and equipping others. But we have lots of elders and ministers who are good at that. And they like it. I don't do much long-term ministry. Most of my preaching is in seminars or short series. So are most of my teaching stints. I don't do much long term spiritual counseling, discipling, or mentoring. Others do and I celebrate that and encourage them.

And I still seem to connect with young people, college students, and couples younger than me (which of course is almost every one) so I do my preaching and teaching in those venues when possible. And most of my preaching and seminar appointments are about evangelism or redeeming fallen Christians.

Life is too short to spend it doing things I don't enjoy. And there are only so many hours in the day so I don't want to waste them on things I am not good at doing.

Of course, I am old and it took me a long time to figure this all out. Maybe this will help you catch on quicker.

But if you are trying to find Jesus, or your spiritual life just blew up ... call me. I'm your guy.

Comments:
In Gabe Lyon's book The Next Christians, he quotes Pete Richardson (career counselor) as saying: “Where your talents and your heart come together, this is where God has called you to be.”

Kind of what you're saying.

Grace and peace,
Tim
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?