Thursday, September 15, 2011

 

Incidents that formed my view of race, Part 2

It was in the Spring of 1969 and my senior year in High School. Oddly enough, I do not even remember how this started, but for several weeks I led singing at an all black congregation, Mountain View Church of Christ, near my home in Duncanville, Texas.

Loved their enthusiasm in worship. And yes, I know much of that was because I am somewhat exuberant myself. I am really not sure I led as much as I started songs and tried to keep up after that. they even let me preach a couple of times and they sure could "amen".

I loved my home congregation and I loved them so I thought it would be a great idea if I could get them together, so I invited them to dismiss their evening worship one sunday and come over to worship with my home church. I didn't even think about mentioning this to anyone else.

And they come. In a car caravan. All at once. About 30 of them into the building. I am not sure how much might have been prejudice, how much might have been shock, or how much might have been confusion ... but for a moment or two nobody seemed to know what to do.

I will always remember that my Dad -- who was one of the elders -- walked right over and started introducing himself, just like he would to anyone else. So then everyone else did also.

I know in East Texas in the late 60's there had to be some racial prejudice even in the church. But I learned two great lessons that night. One was that a Jesus action will lead people to do the right thing. Two, in Jesus we are much more alike than different. Same faith in Jesus, same baptism, same God to worship.

Fellowship and worship: two lessons I am glad I learned.

Comments:
What happened after that? I have re-read your checker playing story several times and keep thinking the
black gentleman playing checkers with you probably had learned at an early age not to interact with an anglo child. Instead of being mean he probably was cautious.
 
I have no idea what happened to that man. I have often wondered what he thought. Caution? Fear? Revenge? Payback? Or was he just mean? You may be right. I wonder what experiences formed him?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?