Friday, September 09, 2011

 

Thoughts on turning 60...

Yes, it is true. Sunday I will be 60 years old. Everyone seems to think this is a big deal. I don't, but since everyone is asking... here are a few thoughts about it.

I look good for a 70 year old, but at least I don't look much older than I did at 50. Gives me great hope for how I may look at 80.

Yes I realize most of my productive life is behind me but I don't dwell much on that. In fact, I don't think much at all about the past. Glad of the lessons I have learned, but don't see the point of living in the past. God has forgiven my mistakes so why dwell on them.

As for the good things, dwelling on them might keep me from all the great things I still have to do. So I don't just turn the page on the daily calendar, I pretty much rip it up.

And the greatest lesson I have learned is that whatever happens, it will be OK. God will see me thru. He always has. Tough times or great times, He has alwasy been there.

So I really haven't changed much. Still love preaching. The most fun thing I do is talk to people about Jesus. Love singing in worship. Same things I liked when I was 20.

Still have lots of energy and enthusiasm.

I have slowed down in a few things. I don't run in races anymore. I jog ... well, more like waddle, actually it is more of a walk. No more full court basketball. I don't play shortstop anymore. When I wear my glasses, I can hit one dove every 12 shots. Without them, I hope I see the dove. I drive my truck as close as I can to haul out my deer.

And there are a few things I treasure more and more every day. I still really enjoy being married to my best friend. I am so blessed by my four kids. All of them love Jesus, love each other, and love me. I enjoy my grandkids, and if the Lord lets me live to watch them grow up (and by the way, that if is not a death fixation, it is a Biblical view of life), I am going to really have a good time with all 5 of them. All four of my parents are still alive and functional. Every day I appreciate that -- and them -- more and more.

Finally, I am still pretty much a today kind of guy. I don't think much about the future. I don't wonder about how many years of productive ministry are left. I'll leave that to God.

So I expect that the day after I am 60 will be like all the rest. I'll thank God for the gift of life. I'll enjoy my family. I'll talk about Jesus. And I'll be happy.

How could it get any better?

Comments:
I`ve enjoyed reading your blog! I love how you love Jesus! He`s the only Way! God bless you and your family!
 
Thanks Jeanie. God has blessed me way beyond what I could ever have dreamed. Blessings on you and yours.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?