Tuesday, November 08, 2011

 

Yes I do love Southern Hills...

Two things got me thinking about why I love my church. One was a comment someone made about preachers working at churches they don't like and wouldn't attend if they weren't on staff. So it made me start thinking about elders loving their church. The other was someone asking me about my weekend.

I can get real frustrated about things in church. I hate church politics. I despise hidden agendas. And if you read this blog regularly you know I have all sorts of odd quirks and hangups. I realize there are congregations I would not want to be a part of, but there are lots of congregations that I like. I like several other congregations right here in Abilene. I like my kid's church in Fort Worth. I have preached in several churches recently that I would be happy to call home.

The churches I like have a couple of things in common: they love Jesus and they are passionate about reaching the lost. I am pretty much going to love any church that has these two things. But I got to thinking about things this weekend that make me love Southern Hills.

I was amazed how many of the ACU people ministering to the students after the horrific crash Friday were our people. Everywhere I looked I saw Southern Hills. ACU staff and hospital staff. Pretty neat. And we had a lot of our campus ministry team there, many of whom are not connected to ACU. Just love Jesus and people and were there to help.

Sunday's service was about mission and making disciples. We give, we pray, we go, we care. I love that.

I had a great conversation with a member we did an annointing for recently. We talked about his health issues and the struggle to be faithful when God doesn't answer exactly like we want. Love that we could have that kind of conversation. Love that we could commit to love Him and praise Him for the good. And that we could commit to love Him and praise Him in the hard times. Loved that we could pray about it.

Marsha and I had a couple come to church Sunday we have been trying to reach. Baptized two of their family members a couple of years ago. Loved watching people go over and meet them and welcome them.

Love that people showed up for a shower at our house for someone that needs to be shown love and community.

We had a baptisimal blessing for one of our new Bhutanese brothers. I love the way Southern Hills has invested in that ministry.

And I love a church where elders pray with people in the foyer, in the auditorium, and in the parking lot.

How could I not love a church that loves Jesus and loves the lost so much? Great people that care about being Jesus in a lost world. And they sell out for Jesus.

So for my flock that is reading this... I love you.

So why do l0ve your church?

Comments:
I love Southern Hills for all the reasons you described, and because of people like you and your precious family. I love SH because it's huge, yet close like a small church, and I love it because it's the only church that has ever felt like home to me. :-)
 
Great blog post Steve, you are a great example for an elder in NC. Thanks for revealing your heart and by doing so, moving our hearts as well! Love you brother.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?