Wednesday, December 14, 2011

 

And now lessons from Malcolm's funeral...

I know it seems as if all I do is post about funerals lately, but it seems that is all I do these days. I have helped do four funerals in the last month or so. Honored. Learning a lot. Yesterday was the funeral for Malcolm Herttenberger, Marsha's uncle. I could say a lot of great things about him, but I thought I would share what I learned from his funeral.

There is something special about churches in small towns. Everyone in that church brought something for the family lunch. Lots of people helping. Speaks well of Malcolm. Speaks well of them.

I like small towns in farming country. Yes, Malcolm was mayor of Rule for 14 years but that town turned out to remember one of its own.

John Greeson has preached in Rule for close to 40 years. He could have moved on many times. He stayed. His life is in that church and that town. I like that.

Family is a big deal. The Herttenberger clan is big and close. I like a family that adopts everybody into it. In-law's. In-law's relatives. Friends. Everyone is family. I like it. And yes, of course I am a Herttenberger because I married Marsha. Malcolm was sure proud of his son Lane. And Cathy. and the girls. And all of the nieces and nephews. Loved them all lots.

You can always come back home to Jesus. John and I both talked about Malcolm coming back to the Lord. He did it when his oldest grandchild was born. And there was no maybe about it. He was faithful and active for over twenty years. People need to know you can come home.

And I watched my parents -- well, Marsha's folks but they are my other set of parents -- and Marsha. Love the way they live out their faith. Loving and caring for family and each other. Being loved. Being Jesus.

Glad I got to pray several times with Malcolm and the family in the hospital and ICU. Made me stronger.

And glad I don't have to grieve like those who have no hope. I believe Malcolm lives. I believe I will see him again. And I'm glad. So I am encouraged to live faithful till I go home. Like him.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?