Thursday, December 08, 2011

 

I had a good time at Mattie B.'s funeral

Mattie B. was 95 when she died on her way to get the morning paper. Still driving, living by herself, and in church every Sunday. I got to help with the funeral and it was fun. Here are some reasons why I love Mattie B. and had fun at her funeral.

... a few years ago someone dropped a communion tray and Matt said to scratch him from the list of potential pallbearers. The Sunday after she died someone dropped a tray. I think God and Mattie B. had something to do with it.

... she bought a big ol' Lincoln Contenental a couple of years ago. She wouldn't drive it downtown because she couldn't see over the hood.

... as an elder, I don't have many in my flock that I ask if they want to dance. But I did Matt. Every Sunday. She always said yes.

... she had a great conversion story. Her daughter was converted at 13. The night her daughter was baptized, Mattie B. decided she needed to also. About a year ago that story was told to the mother of a young lady we were baptizing. It inspired her to give her life to the Lord.

...we were part of her family. Close to her kids, grandkids, and their family. I guess we were not technically related, but we thought we were. It was Marsha and her Mom who went to tell Mattie B. the news of her grandson-in-law being killed in an oilfield accident. Close. Like family.

...she used to read her Bible in the bathroom. Said it was the only way to get any peace and quiet when her girls were still at home. Read it thru every year for about 60 years. Impressive. She never would say if she still only read in the bathroom.

Great faith, lots of love. Joy and laughter always, even when times were tough. Modeled grace and love and forgiveness to everyone.

And today she is dancing around the throne of God.

Save one for me Matt. I'll be along shortly.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?