Wednesday, December 28, 2011

 

What I am going to focus on this year...

I hesitate to call these resolutions. My resolution is like Paul's: to know nothing but Christ and him crucified. And maybe I am getting old, but I really want to concentrate on two things this year in my personal ministry and as a shepherd. These are two things I am gifted at and well ... they are two things I care about. I am not saying other things are not important, but I am going to say no to some things.

I am going to share Jesus with lost people. I am passionate about teaching and sharing Jesus with those who do not know Him, or those who have not given their lives to Him. I am not going to commit to long term new convert care. I think that is important, and I am committed to the care of new spiritual babies. But I am not going to provide that care. I can find people to do that. And I will. But by temperment and talent, I am an evangelist. Others are good at ministering to new Christians and discipling them.

I am going to focus my shepherding on people in spiritual crisis. I am a "triage" elder. By temperment and talent I am drawn to Christians in crisis. But I am not going to commit to long term mentoring and shepherding. I will get them thru the emergency but hand them off for long term care. We have elders and others who are good at that.

So I think most of my personal ministry, my preaching, and my writing will be in these two areas -- either directly or by motivating or equipping others in these two areas.

I have several seminars on Sharing Our Story booked thru Herald of Truth for next year. I am developing a seminar on restoring Christians caught in sin. For those that ask me to do seminars, retreats, special Sundays, interim preaching... know that these are the things on my heart. I am going to finish the book on Can I Tell You a Story? -- it is about sharing your faith thru stories.

I am teaching the Fellowship North class at Southern Hills for the first part of the Spring (at least when I am in town) and we are studying James. But I notice in my prep I am heavy on these two topics. And James does say a lot about these.

So that is my thinking at this point for this year -- and probably the next ten years if God gives my strength and if He wills it. For me, life is too short for anything else. I am going to bring people to Jesus and I am going to fight Satan when he tries to take God's people back.

It is my heart. It is my calling. I do not want to get distracted from these.

Check with me in a couple of months and see how I am doing.

Comments:
Appreciate you, Steve. Such an inspiration to remember that God gave each of us strengths and then to use them for what is really important in our lives. You are a blessing to so many of us and our prayers are with you in your God work always. Joyce and Dale Voss
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?