Friday, December 09, 2011

 

Why you always want to do the Jesus thing...

I pulled up to my local pharmacy yesterday to get my annual Zpac -- and with a sore butt from my steroid shot. I noticed a car close by with the hood up and what appeared to be an older gentleman in it. Should have stopped to help, Holy Spirit kept working on me ... so on the way out I went over and asked if he needed help.

It was clear he was confused but said his car would not start. So I pulled my truck up on the sidewalk, got out my jumper cables, hooked us up, and jump started his car. He got out to thank me. He seemed vaguely familiar but since I think I know everybody I didn't really think much about it. When he thanked me I told him I was a Christian and that's what we do.

I asked if he went to church and he said he did but he had trouble getting the name right. He finally said it was Southern Hills. Oops.... that's where I am an elder. When I got him to tell me his name, I recognized it and of course knew why he seemed familiar.

About that time his wife showed up. He had called her and a friend brought her there. She got out and said "hi Steve".

So what do I learn from this? Well, maybe learn my flock better. Or maybe it is that I should always do the right thing because I may go to church with them. Or maybe even always listen to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. Or maybe even pat myself on the back because now they think I'm a good guy.

But here's what I think. Always do the Jesus thing. No matter how you feel. It's who we are. It's who I am. And that's what we do. It wouldn't have mattered who he was. Maybe he could have been someone who was rude and not appreciative. Maybe he could have been someone I could lead to Jesus. Maybe he could have a Christian I didn't know and I helped a brother. Might have been an angel.

But he was one of my flock and that was a pretty neat bonus. So to Jud and Juana... glad I could help. That's what family is for.

Comments:
Maybe that Lincolnian phrase, "The better angels of our nature" applies here.
 
This is why I love Southern Hills. Being Jesus to others is what it is all about!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?