Wednesday, January 04, 2012

 

Children and the kingdom...

I have been doing a lot of thinking about kids that grow up in Christian homes and how they come to be believers. I was raised in a Christian home and went to church all of my life. I do not remember a time I did not love God and Jesus. I could even process at a fairly young age what to do to become a Christian. I remember vividly the Sunday morning I realized that Jesus died for my sins and that it was time for a personal decision. I talked to my parents after church and was baptized that night.

I have raised two children in church. I prayed for their spiritual development and had the honor of baptizing them both into Christ. I still remember the discussions we had about that decision. I also remember being asked about it when they were much younger. They are both faithful Christians today. I am watching them raise my five grandkids and seeing how they manage their spiritual growth.

As an elder, I get asked a lot of questions about kids and their spiritual developement. Here are some of the questions I get and some of the thinking behind them.

My child is asking about being baptized. If I say no, what if they never ask again? What is too young to be baptized, especially since they know the reason for being baptized? And at what age should I start worrying if they have not been baptized?

Which leads to questions about sin and the "age of accountability". Are our kids saved, then lost, and then saved again? And what do they have to know and believe to be baptized? Is it enough to know some basic facts about Jesus and baptism -- facts which most five year olds raised in church can recite? What about baptism as a death? How about commitment? Is it enough to just love God (which most little kids do better than most adults in some ways)?

Can my son lead a prayer at church before he is baptized? Is he just like the non-baptized adult in our services?

How about communion? Is it just for baptized people? Is it anything but crackers and grape juice if you are not a Christian?

If you become a Christian by being baptized into Christ, and thus a member of his body, are non-baptized kids saved? So you can be saved outside the church?

How can you as an elder refuse to baptize my child?

I am going to spend the next few posts looking at some principles that I think help answer some of these questions.

I will look forward to your input.

Comments:
Great questions. I think the ritual of baptism (I'm pretty sure Jesus called it a cleansing in the "mikveh") is covered in many layers of tradition and history. The "accountability" one is tricky. If you raise your child (or otherwise lead/advise someone spiritually), does that make you the arbiter of "when"? I'd say a qualified "no". I'm sure it's not this simple, but the decision is a very personal one - one of the MOST personal - involving a personal response of their heart, prompting of the holy spirit, etc. At a very young age I suppose a parent needs to do what they can to ensure the desire is a properly motivated one. A few weeks ago a woman I know (no child...she's about 45) came up to pray with an elder (we all line up across the foot of the platform at the end of every service) and she ended up with me. I congratulated her when she told me she wanted to be baptized. She expressed concern that there might be something else she needed to do, a test she needed to pass, a class she needed to take. I assured her that this was very personal, between her and God, and was, at the end of the day, very simple - that she didn't need us to test or approve, but she needed to listen to the still, small voice and make her decision in accordance with her understanding of the biblical example. - David Wright, San Jose, CA
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?