Monday, January 30, 2012

 

My hero Matt went home last night...

Matt Phillips passed from this life to real life last night just before midnight. For our Southern Hills family, everyone will know who Matt was. If you don't, you should. He was a teenager who lived all his life with brittle bone disease. Everyone had to be careful when they hugged or touched him. Had to be in a wheelchair.

My standard greeting to Matt was "How's my hero?" And he always answered. "Great. How's my hero?" But here's the thing. I meant it. Matt was my hero. Still is. Faced a lot of tough times with grace and humor. Life dealt him a hard blow, and he lived with courage and faith.

I loved seeing him cheer for his sister Allison at the Wiley volleyball games. Loved hearing how he won spelling bees. Loved talking sports with him.

I vividly remember the night his Dad Mark baptized him into Christ. He carried him down into the water and ... well, let me just say it is on my faith hightlights reel. I got to lead a shepherd's prayer of blessing afterward. Prayed for his protection from Satan. Prayed for the great witness he would be in this world.

And I nailed it. God did exactly what we asked. Matt fought his battles and stayed true to God. He was a living witness of how God's people live in a fallen world.

I've know Mark and Laura a long time. They were exactly the parents Matt needed. Allison was exactly the big sis he should have. The Southern Hills youth group was the ideal faith community. And our church was the right church. Loved a room full of elders, wives, and families that love the Phillips gathered at midnight at a hospital room. Because of Matt.

And now I have another link to heaven. I think Matt's running in heaven's fields... and for the first time ever... he can fall to his knees and not be broken.

See you soon Matt.

Comments:
I will miss Matt so much. He was so many people's hero. He was so full of joy despite any circumstance he was in. It was truly a joy that transcended understanding. He reminded everyone he met that life was a precious gift from the King.
 
You have a way with words. Thank for writing the words that so many of us feel but have difficulty expressing. I've been weepy all day. LOVE this family!! It's hard to even imagine not seeing Matt again...but we will...in the end.
 
You don't know me but I babysat Matt and Allison while they lived in Stillwater, Oklahoma. I just received the news today in the prayer list email that is sent out from the Stillwater church. I don't think I ever saw him without a smile on his face. He was one of the best kids ever to babysit for. Kept me laughing the whole time I was with him :)He will be missed tremendously but has left an amazing mark on a lot of people.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?