Wednesday, January 11, 2012

 

Your kids are NOT lost...

Children raised in a Christian home are different. They really do not have conversion experiences. I don't believe they go from darkness to light. I do not believe there is a moment when they become a believer. I do not even believe children in Christian homes go from saved to lost to saved again.

I was raised in a Christian home and I do not remember learning about Jesus. I always knew about Jesus. I don't remember a time when I did not believe in Jesus. I have always loved Jesus. I acknowledge that I have matured in my faith. I have grown in what it means to love Jesus. But I hope those things are still going on in my life. But my spiritual insights and life altering experieces all came as someone who loved Jesus. Not someone who discovered him.

I think this experience was true for my kids and I see it happening with my grandkids. I think this pattern is generally true for everyone I know raised by Christian parents.

I believe children with Christian parents are holy because of their parent's faith. I believe this because it is what the Bible teaches. In I Corinthians 7 Paul talks about Christians and marriage. He explains that if one spouse becomes a Christian, and the other does not, that the home is still sanctified. It is a Christian home. I do not think this means the non-believing spouse is saved, but the home is sanctified. In verse 14, he mentions that the children are holy. He does not say sanctified. He says holy.

But what about sin? You may accept this with innocent babies, but what about when my child starts knowing right from wrong and does the wrong? They are holy. Those sins are forgiven just like yours. Holy. You are holy because of your faith in Jesus. And that extends to you kids.

So I am convinced children in Christian homes are holy because of the parent's faith.

Which leads to two more questions. When does this change? When the child leaves home ... or arrives at the stage of life where they are adults. In a later post, I will talk more specifically about this.

So what does this mean for my child and their baptism? What about sin and forgiveness?

There comes a time in our children's growing up when they will make their own decision to follow Jesus. When that time comes, their sins are forgiven, they are saved, they are holy because of their faith in Jesus. Before they are forgiven, saved, holy because of the faith of Mom and Dad.

The destination is the same, but now it will be a path they choose to follow and not just the one that their family has chosen. Saved by the faith their parents have in Jesus. Then saved by the faith they have in Jesus. They are not lost in between.

So children's faith developement is a safe, joyful experience. Not one full of angst, worry, and panic. They are secure, safe, and holy. Just as you are. Your job is not to "save" them. It is to transition them from your faith to faith of their own.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?